Friday, November 13, 2009

Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez



This is taken strictly from the back cover of the novel:

From award-winning author Julia Alvarez comes the story of Anita de la Torre, a twelve-year-old girl living in the Dominican Republic in 1960. Most of Anita's relatives have emigrated to the United States, her Tio Toni has disappeared, Papi has been getting mysterious phone calls about butterflies and someone named Mr. Smith, and the secret police have started terrorizing the family for their suspected opposition to the country's dictator. While Anita deals with a frightening series of events, she also struggles with her adolescences and her own personal flight to be free.

ISBN # 978-0-440-23784-6
Published by Dell Laurel-Leaf, 2004
167 pages

Summary:
Anita lives with her extended family inside of a compound in the Dominican Republic. It is only after many of her relatives begin to flee to the United States that Anita realizes her family is involved in the resistance of Trujillo, El Jefe. As Anita's immediate family stays behind to maintain the family's business, Anita begins listening in on secret meetings to ajusticiamento, which means "bringing to justice" the death of the dictator.

My Review:
Of all of the young adolescent literature I have read so far, this novel seems to be one of the safest to use in a classroom setting. It hints to assassination, but does not disclose any gory details. There are brief, subtle moments where torture techniques and under-age drinking are mentioned.

The story really picked up for me when we are allowed to read some of Anita's diary entries. A part of me felt terrible for invading her privacy, but I soon realize that Anita is afraid for her life. She is writing to leave something "behind." I could connect this book to The Dairy of Anne Frank since both novels recount details of the young girls' living conditions. Overall, I would say this novel ends with a message of hope. I really enjoyed the Conversation with Julia Alvarez and Author's Note at the end of the novel.


Lingering Thoughts:
My husband and I vacationed in the Dominican Republic in 2007. I feel so ignorant to the history of this nation. This novel left me feeling as if I am another spoiled American, who takes things such as "free government" for granted.


You can buy the novel here.

You can visit the author's website here.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you have re-discovered reading!
    I can't imagine not reading, I get so lost in a good book.
    My grown up children are big readers too, I think it's a wonderful gift to pass on to a child, this love of reading.
    It's not just the power of a good story, event etc. it's getting inside another persons head and hearing how they think that i find so interesting.
    Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete